Hardship Funding

We recognise that sometimes your financial situation will change due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control. Hardship funding for unforeseen hardship or financial emergencies after the start of a course, is available for matriculated students by application. During the admissions process, you will have confirmed that you know the cost of your course and that you are confident you can afford to complete your studies. If you do find yourself in any financial difficulty contact the College’s Academic Administrator who will advise you and discuss your circumstances in confidence. If you make an application to any College or University Hardship Fund, you will be asked to explain how your circumstances differ exceptionally from those anticipated when you applied to your programme, the nature of the hardship that you are facing, and how, given some support, you will then be able to afford to complete your studies. You may also want to consider whether applying to your department to suspend your studies may be a better course of action if you are facing financial hardship.

Please note that if you make an application to the University Hardship Fund (UHF), you will first have had to apply to your College and, if applicable, to the Access to Learning Funds (ALF). For this reason it is important to be mindful of the deadlines of those funds and discuss your details with College at the earliest opportunity.

You will receive an email at the start of each term with details of financial support and opportunities available.

A new hardship scheme will be launched for the 20/21 academic year by the University for postgraduate research students whose finances have been impacted by the Covid-19 outbreak beyond Trinity term 2020. Further information will be available on the University’s website and on the dedicated coronavirus hardship funding webpage.

Kellogg College Hardship Fund

Kellogg recognises that you may encounter financial difficulties for unforeseen and exceptional circumstances beyond your control. If this is the case and you are experiencing hardship you can make an application to the College’s Hardship Fund which is able to make awards between £200 and £1000 in certain circumstances. Consideration will be given to any changes from your current circumstances to those that you anticipated, the level of hardship that you are experiencing, and whether you can demonstrate that, with some assistance, you are able to afford to complete your studies. In the first instance, contact the Academic Administrator who will discuss your circumstances confidentially and explain the next steps.

The College Hardship Committee will endeavour to consider your application promptly. Please note that if you anticipate also making an application to any University’s Hardship Fund and/or the Access to Learning Fund, you will need to allow enough time to receive a response from the College to fit the University Hardship Fund’s termly application deadlines which are available on its application form.

Access to Learning Funds (ALF)

The Access to Learning Fund is based on national guidelines and assists Home fee status students who experience financial difficulty. This is available for both full-time and part-time students to apply.

Application forms are available from the Academic Office, in its termly email to students about financial support,  or from the University’s Student Fees and Funding Office. For information regarding this fund please visit www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance/hardship/alf or enquire by emailing student.funding@admin.ox.ac.uk.

University Hardship Fund (UHF)

The University Committee on Student Hardship makes awards on the grounds of unforeseeable hardship and may provide help in the form of a grant or loan, depending on the applicant’s circumstances. Awards to successful applicants are made on the basis of a comparison of a student’s proposed finances for the current academic year with University estimates of finances required. You will need to demonstrate that your circumstances have changed exceptionally since you completed the Financial Declaration. The Committee meets on a termly basis but will not normally consider more than one application per student per year, unless there have been significant changes in that student’s circumstances. Awards generally do not exceed £3,000. All students registered for a degree at the University are eligible to apply to the Committee.

You must discuss applications with College first as part of this process so please contact the Academic Administrator as soon as possible in such circumstance and they will be happy to discuss your concerns confidentially with you and advise you of the next steps.

Application forms will be emailed to you by the College at the start of each term with information on other forms of financial support and opportunities. Please take note of relevant deadlines which are contained in the forms and their accompanying guidelines. The University Hardship Committee meets once a term and further information is available from www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance/hardship/uhf

College Disability Fund

The College has a modest amount of funding to assist students who may incur unexpected costs arising from a disability or medical condition. If you believe that College may be of assistance please contact the Academic Administrator who will advise you confidentially and make an application to the College’s Hardship Fund on your behalf.

Vice-Chancellors’ Fund

A fund has been established through donations by members of the Chancellor’s Court of Benefactors in honour of three recent Vice-Chancellors: Lord Neill of Bladon, Sir Richard Southwood and Sir Peter North.

The fund is intended to assist academically outstanding DPhil students who are in the final stages of the DPhil and are able to demonstrate they are in need of financial assistance. For further information please go to: www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance/hardship/vcf

Updated on: 16/09/2020