Degree certificates

Once you have your degree conferred at a degree ceremony in person or in absentia you will automatically receive a degree certificate. Students who complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for teacher training or who receive an exit award (e.g. a postgraduate certificate or diploma) will receive an award certificate from the department.

While degree certificates are only available to those students who have had their degree conferred at a ceremony, degree confirmation letters are available once you have received your leave to supplicate. The letter will confirm that you have successfully completed your course at the University of Oxford, the dates of attendance and the classification you received (if applicable) and it can be used for most official purposes before you receive your certificate. If your degree certificate is lost, stolen or damaged, you can order a replacement certificate — there is a charge for this service; however, additional copies of paper degree certificates cannot be ordered. If you would like to confirm your award to a third party, you can download an eCertificate or Degree Confirmation Letter from the University’s eDocuments Service. These documents have a QR code which can be used by a third party to verify your award. For further details please refer to

The name which is held for you on the University’s central records system at the time when you complete your degree (are granted ‘leave to supplicate’) will be the name on your Degree Certificate and Degree Confirmation Letter. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred or where the University is required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004, please check that the information in your student record on Student Self Service is correct, prior to completing your studies. For example, that all your middle names are present and correct and that any special characters such as letters with accents are correctly represented. If you need to make any changes to your name, you will be required to present official documentation such as a passport or birth certificate for us to enact the change.

Updated on: 18/08/2023