Extension or suspension of studies

It may be that you encounter unavoidable difficulties that mean that you need to take time out and suspend your studies temporarily. Talk to your Supervisor for advice about your studies in the first instance. If you are unable to make progress on your studies then you should apply to your department, faculty or school to suspend your studies via a form GSO.17 Application for Suspension of Studies. If you need additional terms, subject to the arrangement of your course, you will need to apply to your department to extend your studies via a form GSO.15 Application for Extension of Time.

There are additional arrangements for student parents and you may find it helpful to consult the University’s guidance for student parents.

Please note: Departments and courses have different regulations about this so do ensure that your course allows for the changes to your studies. The forms need to be approved by a number of parties so you should apply in good time with the process being completed by Week 2 of term if possible. You will have to provide reasons for the requests and independent verifiable evidence (as appropriate). It should be noted that retrospective suspensions are rarely granted; any such request must make clear why the request for suspension could not be made ahead of time.

Graduate Study (GSO) forms are available to download from www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/guidance/graduate/progression

If you need an extension to a deadline for examined or assessed written work please refer to the Examination and Assessment page of the Student Handbook.

Mitigating Circumstances Notices to Examiners (formerly Factors Affecting Performance)

If you have experienced circumstances that have adversely affected your academic progress, such as illness or personal events, for example bereavement, you can submit a mitigating circumstance notice (MCE) so that the examiners are made aware of the situation. Such applications must be made as near the event as possible and in advance of the meeting of the Board of Examiners which will determine results, and must be accompanied by supporting evidence.

Applications can be made after Examiners’ meetings (up to three months following the release of results) only under exceptional circumstances. Please contact the College’s Academic Administrator to discuss such applications.

Applications for a mitigating circumstances notice to examiners are submitted on Student Self Service. Before completing full details of your circumstances, you will need to request to start a new notice by providing a very brief reason to your college in Student Self Service. Further instructions on what to include in a mitigating circumstance notice to your examiners, timing of notifications, how these are considered by your examiners and complaints procedures can be found in the Guidance Notes on the University website: www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/exams/guidance

You are encouraged to discuss the circumstances you believe have affected your performance with the Academic Office in the first instance to determine the best course of action.

Updated on: 11/09/2020