Council tax exemption and discounts

Full-time students are usually exempt from paying council tax; part-time students are not exempt. Once you have completed your University registration, you can download and print an Enrolment Certificate from Student Self Service and use it to claim your council tax exemption, if eligible, by applying to your local authority. Enrolment Certificates must be stamped by the Academic Office.

Part-time students and full-time students living with non-students are not normally eligible for council tax exemption although they may be eligible for a reduction. The final decision on all exemptions and discounts rests with your local authority.

Updated on: 14/07/2023