Course Fees

Course Fees are payable for the provision of tuition, supervision, academic services and facilities by the University (including your department or faculty) and the support, like welfare and student advisors, provided by the College. Course Fees do not include residential or other living costs.

Fees vary by course and individual Fee Status and are typically paid ahead of the start of each academic year that you are in fee liability. Fees are normally paid to the College but, in some cases, they are paid to the department or faculty providing the course instead.

The University has a listing of all course fees for the current and next academic year

Fees paid to the College

You will receive an invoice for your fees from College at or before the beginning of the academic year. You will find a ‘ways to pay’ section at the bottom of your invoice.

Payment of fees may be made by the following methods:

  • Online store
  • Credit card or debit card
  • Electronic bank transfers (please pay in sterling and ensure that all bank charges are covered, so that the amount owed is paid in full). Bank details will be issued with your invoice. Please ensure that your payment reference contains your INVOICE NUMBER
  • For international fee payments, via third-party money transfer agents. Kellogg College has partnered with Flywire to help make your international payments safe and secure. For more information on how to pay this way please visit our website
  • Cheque (GBP sterling)

Please do not make any payments without being in receipt of an invoice or making prior arrangements with the Finance Office.

All fees are to be paid in full at or before the beginning of the academic year (by the end of 1st Week – 16 October 2020). Every reasonable effort will be made to issue invoices in line with this deadline. However, this depends upon a number factors outside the College’s control. Where these prevent the invoice being issued in a timely manner, a reasonable extension of the payment deadline can be made.

In some circumstances, the College can agree to accept the payment of fees in instalments especially when as a condition of a loan agreement (for example the government postgraduate loan scheme pays students in 3 instalments during the year, and the College can agree to accept payments towards fee invoices to reflect the instalment payments of the loan scheme loans). In exceptional circumstances it may be possible to agree an instalment plan for fees not associated with a loan. In all cases the fees should be fully paid before the end of the academic year and it is not generally acceptable to leave a high proportion of the total fees payable until later in the year. If you would like to arrange this, please email the Finance Office ( once you have received your invoice, setting out your reasons for wishing to pay in instalments. Please note, this will need to be agreed in advance of the due date of your fees which will be clearly stated on your invoice.

Fees collected by Departments, Faculties, and Schools

Students on certain programmes do not pay their course fees to the College. Instead they pay their course fees to the department/faculty providing the programme of study.

This is most commonly the case for students on part-time modular programmes, fees for which are structured differently because of the flexible nature of studies. This will typically consist of a registration fee for the academic year and a varying sum for the modules to be undertaken during the year. Typically, you will be expected to pay your fees to the department or faculty rather than the College if they dealt with the Financial Declaration during the admissions process.

Department/Faculties collecting fees will have their own arrangements for this including payment methods and deadlines and questions regarding payment should be directed to the department/faculty.

Period of fee liability

Each programme has a defined period of fee liability that determines for how long fees should be paid. This is normally expressed as a number of terms and/or years from initial enrolment on the programme. All programmes have a standard period of fee liability. Some have a separate minimum and maximum as well. The typical periods of fee liability are as follows:

Students are normally required to pay fees for all time spent on course during the period of fee liability. If a student interrupts their studies (e.g. suspending for a period) this pauses the period of fee liability until the interruption ends.

Further information on fee liabilities can be found at

Continuation charges

Students who have reached the end of their standard period of fee liability, but are still registered on course, may be required to pay a termly University and/or a College continuation charge. Details of College continuation charges can be found at: Continuation Charges.

Research students who are outside fee liability will also be liable to a termly University Continuation Charge. You will be notified directly in advance by the University, not by College, and payment is made via the online shop. Details of University continuation charges can be found at:

Further information on fee liabilities can be found at

Fee status

The level of fees charged to each student on a programme is determined by their Fee Status. This is determined by the University in accordance with government regulations.

If you have any queries regarding your fee status please refer to the information on the University website at

If you believe that your fee status is incorrect or has changed, you can contact the University’s Fees & Funding staff ( for an assessment. In order to assist with an assessment you should complete and return the Fees Questionnaire that is available to download from the above web page. On the rare occasions when there are delays in determining your fee status, it will be assumed that you hold Overseas status for the purpose of estimates and invoices until College receives official confirmation otherwise.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also provides guidance on fee status for tuition fees:–Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees-the-basics

Postgraduate Loans

If you are in receipt of the UK Government’s postgraduate loan (see for details of the scheme) disbursement will be in three equal instalments directly to you. If you will be using the loan to pay your fees, you will need to arrange payment to the College from your own account or seek an instalment plan supported by your postgraduate loan.

US Federal Loans 

If you are in receipt of a federal loan then disbursement will be made in three equal instalments by bank transfer to College. Upon receipt of the disbursement, College will deduct a proportion for fees and accommodation (if you are living in College managed accommodation), unless you are not using the loans to pay your fees. The balance will then be paid directly to you by College, within 14 days, so that you can use these funds for living expenses. The main scheduled disbursement dates are in October, January and April each year. Further information on US Federal Loans can be found at:


If you have received a scholarship for fees, the College will normally issue an invoice direct to the funding body for the appropriate amount. If the scholarship does not cover the full amount to be charged, an invoice for the balance will be issued to you. Although the College is willing to invoice the funding body directly, students remain responsible for ensuring that fees are paid, and should ensure timely notification to College of any scholarship agreed with a funding body, together with details of the contacts at the funding body.

Updated on: 14/09/2020