Complaints and academic appeals

We hope that your studies go well but if you have concerns about University examinations or teaching, staff or student conduct, research integrity or services, you can find information about the procedures to follow at The initial raising of a concern may well resolve the problem but if you remain dissatisfied with the outcome then at this page you can find out how to submit a formal complaint.

If you have concerns about Kellogg student behaviour, please see the Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures which includes a list of helpful contacts to consult.

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)

Most student complaints about a higher education institution are resolved internally via a complaints procedure. The Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education provides an independent scheme for the review of unresolved student complaints and the promotion of good practice. Where the OIA rules in favour of a student, it may recommend that the University or college should do something (e.g. look again at a complaint, or pay compensation) or refrain from doing something. To activate the OIA procedures, you must be a current or former student of the University or one of the colleges and must have first exhausted all the available internal procedures. To confirm that your case has been dealt with internally, you need to obtain a Completion of Procedures letter from the office that informed you of the outcome of your case. You have a maximum of 12 months from the date of that letter to apply to OIA.

The OIA can deal with complaints about: programmes of study or research; services provided to you as a student by the University and/or by your college; or a final decision by the University or by your college about a disciplinary matter or complaint. The OIA cannot deal with complaints about matters of academic judgement; matters that are the subject of legal proceedings; or matters relating to student employment.

Please see the OIA website for further details or contact the Academic Administrator if you require further information.

Updated on: 11/07/2023